1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN TEACHING YOGA FOR?
I’ve been teaching regular classes for 8 years.
2. WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME A YOGA TEACHER?
I’ve been practising yoga for around twelve years and have experienced so many benefits from the practice, both physically and psychologically. I could see that yoga not only strengthens the body but it also encourages personal evolution and a raising of awareness. It was this potential for profound evolution that inspired me to deepen my knowledge. I felt it was a natural and meaningful part of my journey in yoga to complete the circle by training to teach. It’s very fulfilling to facilitate a deepening physical and emotional practice for my yogis. I regard teaching as part of my own practice. It represents connection between myself and others. It’s a form of communication which arises from an ancient root.
3. WHERE DID YOU COMPLETE YOUR TRAINING?
I’ve trained in Goa, New York and in the UK.
4. WHAT QUALIFICATIONS HAVE YOU RECEIVED FROM YOUR TRAINING?
300 hours at The International Shiva Yoga Centre Vinyasa Training at Yoga To The People, New York
5. WHAT IS IT YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT TEACHING YOGA?
I enjoy the dynamism of a challenging class, the sense of connection with people in the room and the powerfully positive and creative energy that each class generates.
6. WHAT IS YOUR TOP TIP FOR PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT STARTING TO PRACTISE YOGA?
Breathe, relax, be present. Be open to the transformation!
7. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE POSTURE?
Chakrasana for its ability to re-energise and rejuvenate body and mind.
8. WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR OTHER INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF YOGA?
I record and perform electronic music collaborating with electro artist Logan Sky, Fred Schneider of The B52s, Visage, New York DJ Miss Guy, Margi Clarke, Italian producer Marco Columbino. I often contribute vocals to dance tracks for a host of DJs and producers all over the world.
9. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY THE BIGGEST BENEFIT OF PRACTISING YOGA IS?
A calm, focused mind in a strong, flexible body. And it gives you amazing skin!
10. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE COMING TO ONE OF YOUR CLASSES FOR THE FIRST TIME?
To relax and do exactly as I tell you!
To sign up for a class with Steven, take a look at our Timetable.