Meet Your Teacher: DebbieMarch 18th 2016
Here at Your Yoga we see you as part of the family, so we're giving you chance to meet our teachers and get an insight into who they are and why they love yoga! Meet the lovely Debbie Redcliffe...
1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN TEACHING YOGA FOR?
I have been teaching for 12 years
2. WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME A YOGA TEACHER?
At first, I didn't actually want to be a teacher. I just loved that yoga was healing me and helping me to love myself again, then I found opportunities came my way without trying so I knew I was meant to teach and help others.
3. WHERE DID YOU COMPLETE YOUR TRAINING?
I have been to India twice – the first time studying with the late Pattabois Jois and his grandson Sharath in Mysore (2007), and the second studying Ashtanga self practice under the guidance of Melanie Cooper (2009).
4. WHAT QUALIFICATIONS HAVE YOU RECEIVED FROM YOUR TRAINING?
I have the British Wheel of Yoga diploma yin TT, yoga alliance teacher trainer too, core strength flow TT and pregnancy yoga TT.
5. WHAT IS IT YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT TEACHING YOGA?
I love all aspects of teaching but truly adore retreats and workshops where I have time to go deeper and teach more. Yin and Flow are my favourite types. I love being creative too. I also love teaching other teachers TT training and points.
6. WHAT IS YOUR TOP TIP FOR PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT STARTING TO PRACTISE YOGA?
Play it safe – try a few different styles and teachers, you will find yourself drawn to the one that is right for you. Be patient and be kind to yourself. Things open up slowly.
7. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE POSTURE?
I love inversions like headstand and forearm balance they make me feel great. I feel full of energy turning my world upside down!
8. WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR OTHER INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF YOGA?
I tango dance!!! I am also a professional actor so I love to do theatre. TV, writing and films. I love films! Walking and being in nature too.
9. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY THE BIGGEST BENEFIT OF PRACTISING YOGA IS?
You get to reconnect with yourself, feel better, heal and have faith in yourself.
10. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE COMING TO ONE OF YOUR CLASSES FOR THE FIRST TIME?
Be patient. Take your time and don't expect to do everything. Be with your breath and feelings.
To sign up for a class with Debbie, take a look at our Timetable.